Edison football opens season with 52-0 victory against Baldwin in Hawaii

Mike Walters rushed for two touchdowns and Jacob Hanlon passed for two more to help Edison’s football team open its season with a 52-0 victory against Baldwin on Friday at War Memorial Stadium in Wailuku, Hawaii.

Walters scored the first two touchdowns to ignite a 21-point first quarter.

Edison led 42-0 at halftime, playing Hanlon and Braeden Boyles at quarterback. Both are juniors.

Troy Fletcher returned an interception 95 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter for Edison.

The Chargers (1-0) were the first Orange County team to play this season. They have a bye week before returning to play at Carson on Aug. 29.

Read more about Edison football opens season with 52-0 victory against Baldwin in Hawaii This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Police: Woman suspected in Tustin hit-and-run leads chase through Costa Mesa in stolen pickup

A woman who fled the scene of a crash in Tustin in a stolen vehicle led police on a pursuit through Costa Mesa on Thursday, Aug. 15, authorities said.

Officers were en route to investigate a collision reported at about 5:30 p.m., Tustin Police Sgt. D. Houle said. The driver of a blue pickup truck involved in the crash drove off before authorities arrived.

Police learned that the truck had been stolen, and later spotted it in Tustin. The suspect refused to pull over, and led officers in a chase through Costa Mesa. The pursuit ended at about 6 p.m. in the area of Bristol Street and Anton Boulevard, Houle said.

He said the driver was a woman and taken into custody Thursday evening. Her name was not immediately released. No injuries were reported in either the initial collision, or the police pursuit, Houle said.

Powered by WPeMatico

President Trump not afraid to stand up to China: Letters

The recent announcement of another round of tariffs on China and their response appears to be a further step in our full-fledged trade war. And this has provoked the predictable round of criticisms of the president’s policy.

What always seems to be lacking, though, is the offer of any credible alternative. By credible, I would not include the economic Armageddon of total cessation of trade between the two biggest economies in the world.

It is illuminating that China is fighting so hard against, among other things, giving up the practice of intellectual property theft in the furtherance of their goal of world economic domination. Of course, we could just roll over and let them take it, but President Trump has taken the courageous step of standing up to them, which other presidents have either failed or declined to do.

The point is that we are all in this together and our economy is stronger now than at any time in recent history. So the question we must answer is: “If not now, when?” If we present China with a more united front in this war, we will stand a much better chance of ending it sooner and on better terms.

— Ed Klopfenstein, Brea

Build the cemetery

Re “Paperwork for another ballot measure filed to change veterans cemetery location in Irvine” (News, Aug. 12):

I think it is shameful that Larry Agran and other politicians who avoided serving their country, militarily, can delay a veteran’s cemetery for so long.

I am an 88-year-old Korean War vet who does not want any family members who wish to visit my grave, have to travel over two hours each way. Please push the project forward and stop the nonsense and delaying tactics. Build the cemetery.

— Art Schlosser, Laguna Woods

Carnage will continue

Re “Looking for answers after mass shootings” (Editorial, Aug. 8):

With a racist and hater in the White House and the NRA in his pocket, nothing will be done. We need to ban the sales of assault rifles. Period. No citizen needs that kind of rifle, except to kill people.

We, as Americans, need to ban together to outlaw assault weapons. Until that day comes, the carnage will continue. Next time it will be in your hometown or mine. I don’t want to wait that long.

— Carrie Chotiner, Laguna Niguel

Read more about President Trump not afraid to stand up to China: Letters This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Summer Concert Series – Derek Bordeaux Group

City of Rancho Santa Margarita Posted Event date: August 11, 2019
Event Time: 06:00 PM – 08:00 PM
Location:
30842 La Miranda
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
Description:
Join the City of Rancho Santa Margarita on Sunday evenings beginning July 7th for our free summer concert series. With the sunset as your backdrop, gather with friends and neighbors to enjoy a different genre each week through August 11.
Food vendors will be on site or bring a picnic dinner with you. For more information, please contact the Community Services Department at (949) 216-9700.

One of the hottest bands in Southern California, The Derek Bordeaux Group generates energy and excitement everywhere they perform.

For more than 25 years, Derek Bordeaux has performed in Southern California and Las Vegas, becoming one of the most sought after artists for his sultry renditions of Motown classics, Jazz, R&B and Blues standards. The Derek Bordeaux Group does it all!

Powered by WPeMatico

Summer Concert Series – Undercover

City of Rancho Santa Margarita Posted Event date: August 4, 2019
Event Time: 06:00 PM – 08:00 PM
Location:
30842 La Miranda
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
Description:
Join the City of Rancho Santa Margarita on Sunday evenings beginning July 7th for our free summer concert series. With the sunset as your backdrop, gather with friends and neighbors to enjoy a different genre each week through August 11.
Food vendors will be on site or bring a picnic dinner with you. For more information, please contact the Community Services Department at (949) 216-9700.

Undercover is a dynamic, fun, energetic and high-impact band is sure to fill the dance-floor by specializing in high energy dance music – Pop, Rock, Soul, Funk. Latin, R&B, Top 40 and all of your favorite music from the 50’s to the present-day.

Powered by WPeMatico

Zipping to work will get easier for this reader … eventually

Q. I commute from my house in Rancho Cucamonga to my office in Garden Grove. To get into the 91 Express Lanes from the 15 Freeway, I have to take the 15 south past the 91, exit the freeway and get back on going north before entering the westbound 91 Express Lanes. Or go east on the 91 before exiting and flipping around. Going home is also very inconvenient. Are there any plans for a direct connector for the 91 Express Lanes and the 15 Freeway above the 91?

– Andy Tran, Rancho Cucamonga

A. Whew!

Visualizing those maneuvers makes Honk’s head hurt.

Yes, help is on the way, although a solution won’t arrive real soon.

“There is a project to build a direct connector as he describes,” said John Standiford, deputy executive director with the Riverside County Transportation Commission.

But first the 15 Express Lanes are to be built. Construction is underway on that 15-mile tollway along the 15 Freeway and is to be completed in about a year. Two years later, a connector ramp will link the siblings, the 15 Express Lanes and the 91 Express Lanes.

You should be able to zip to work then, Andy.

If you want to save some coins, you will be able to just take the segment of the 15 Express Lanes near that connector ramp so you can make smooth transitions, and use the regular 15 Freeway the rest of the way; the 15 Express Lanes will have multiple places to enter and exit.

Q. I believe the state just recently passed, and Gov. Gavin Newsom signed, a bill that waives the $5 fee to get “VETERAN” on your California driver license or your Department of Motor Vehicles-issued ID card.

– C. Wellington, Fullerton

A. Honk thanks you, sir or madam.

C. was referring to a recent dandy column, when Honk explained how veterans of the U.S. armed forces can get that distinction put on their driver license or ID – a move that can, at times, get the bearer a discount at a store or a restaurant.

For most vets, like Honk had mentioned, it costs $5 on top of any other fee, such as that for a new or replaced license or ID.

Honk didn’t know about the waiver until C. told him. He then slipped on a pair of gumshoes and went out to look into the matter.

Indeed, as of July 1, veterans who are homeless or have a low income do not need to pay that five bucks. In fact, C., the new law was authored by Sharon Quirk-Silva, an assemblywoman from your hometown.

Five bucks isn’t a big break, of course, but it does show our appreciation for those who served.

To ask Honk questions, reach him at honk@ocregister.com. He only answers those that are published. To see Honk online: ocregister.com/tag/honk.

Read more about Zipping to work will get easier for this reader … eventually This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico