SANTA ANA — A convicted thief was behind bars Tuesday on charges of a swinging a knife at security guards who confronted the suspected shoplifter outside a Santa Ana department store.
Ryan Quintin Hancock, 43, of Orange, was arrested Monday by Orange police on a warrant charging him with two counts of second-degree robbery and one count of assault with a deadly weapon, all felonies, as well as a sentencing enhancement for the personal use of a deadly weapon.
Police publicly released surveillance video of a suspect in the Jan. 16 conflict with Macy’s security guards last month, which prompted tips that led to Hancock’s arrest, said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
Hancock removed some clothes from racks at the store at 2850 N. Main St. about 7 that night and was confronted by two security guards when he walked out of the business with the garments, Bertagna alleged.
Hancock allegedly pulled out a knife from a pocket and swung it toward one of the guards, the corporal said. He then dropped the clothes and ran away.
Court records show that Hancock pleaded guilty in May 2014 to a felony count of grand theft and was sentenced to eight months in jail. He also pleaded guilty in February 2014 to possession of stolen goods and was sentenced to 16 months in jail.
ROSEMEAD — A man suspected of stealing a GMC van died Monday after causing two collisions on the San Bernardino (10) Freeway in Rosemead and attempting to vandalize and carjack other vehicles on the freeway before being restrained by civilians, authorities said.
Witnesses reported seeing Ramon J. Lopez Jr., 39, of Huntington Beach driving a GMC Safari van erratically at 11:17 a.m. eastbound on the San Bernardino Freeway west of New Avenue when he struck a silver Scion xB and fled the scene, California Highway Patrol Officer G. Bembi said.
“The GMC continued driving erratically and moments later struck a black Volkswagen Jetta,” Bembi said. Lopez continued to flee eastbound.
The van then became disabled west of San Gabriel Boulevard and was blocking the express lanes, the officer said. Lopez got out with a small tire iron and began walking on the freeway, where traffic had slowed due to the disabled van, Bembi said.
Lopez approached a black BMW stopped in the No. 3 lane, jumped on the hood and began striking the car’s windshield, causing glass debris to fly inside but not injuring the driver or passenger, Bembi said. The BMW’s driver was taken to a hospital as a precaution for treatment of shock.
Lopez got off the BMW when a gray Toyota Corolla slowed to a stop in the No. 4 lane and struck a left side window, causing the glass to shatter, Bembi said. The uninjured motorist drove away.
When a Ford Explorer stopped in the express lanes, Lopez smashed his body into the left side, denting the left rear door, Bembi said.
“Mr. Lopez began cursing at the driver and passenger and grabbed the Ford Explorer’s door handles, possibly in an attempt to carjack it,” Bembi said.
With eastbound traffic at a standstill, a group of civilians tackled Lopez and struggled to keep him on the ground, Bembi said. They got off of Lopez when an ambulance arrived “and it appeared Mr. Lopez was unresponsive,” Bembi said.
The paramedics provided emergency medical aid to Lopez until San Gabriel Fire Department paramedics arrived, taking him to County-USC Medical Center where he was pronounced dead from cardiac arrest just before noon, Bembi said.
The CHP issued a SigAlert at 11:27 a.m. shutting down all eastbound traffic lanes. The two right lanes were reopened at 12:10 p.m. and the SigAlert was cancelled at 12:43 p.m., Bembi said.
A man sustained life-threatening injuries, but was expected to recover, after he was stabbed near Plaza Square Park in the Old Towne area of Orange on Monday, Dec. 17.
Dispatchers received a 911 call at 8:36 p.m. reporting an unspecified incident near the intersection of West Chapman Avenue and Glassell Street, according to Orange Police Lt. Fred Lopez. He said responding officers found a 27-year-old man bleeding in the street. The victim was transported to a nearby hospital.
East Chapman will be closed from Glassell to Orange for approx 2 hours for an assault investigation. Avoid the area. pic.twitter.com/9YGXlukMkV
Medical staff determined that the man had suffered life-threatening stab wounds to his chest, but the victim was expected to survive his injuries, according to Lopez. He said it was unclear what was used to stab the man, and officers had not recovered a weapon from the scene as of 11 p.m. Monday.
Authorities did not immediately suggest a motive for the attack, release a description of a potential suspect, or identify the victim. The incident did not appear to be related to any other crime happening at the time, according to Lopez.
COSTA MESA — Four women suspected of stealing several high-end purses are being sought by authorities in Costa Mesa.
The four women went into a store in the Mitsuwa Marketplace shopping center in the 600 block of Paularino Avenue about 7:30 p.m. Sunday and stole several expensive purses, then pepper-sprayed an employee who tried to stop them, according to Roxi Fayed of the Costa Mesa Police Department.
The suspects fled the scene in what was believed to be a white compact vehicle, Fayed said.
The suspects apparently were in the area hours before, casing the store, Fayed said.
Detailed descriptions of the suspects or the vehicle used in the crime were not immediately available.
Anyone with information about the crime was asked to call Detective Monte Peters at (714) 754-5198.
Authorities asked for the public’s help on Wednesday, Dec. 5, in identifying potential additional victims of a man who was arrested after allegedly making threats at knifepoint in Aliso Viejo. He is also suspected of attempting to kidnap a deaf woman in Laguna Niguel.
Deputies took Paul Emilliano, 39, of Aliso Viejo, into custody on Monday, Dec. 3, on suspicion of brandishing a knife and making threats at two residents of a home on Abbeywood Lane that evening, according to a release from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
He was arrested on suspicion of brandishing a weapon and criminal threats, the release said.
It said authorities noticed that the man resembled a sketch of a suspect described by the victim of an assault that took place a day prior to Emilliano’s arrest.
A 35-year-old woman using sign language told deputies that she had been walking home from a store in Laguna Niguel on Sunday, Dec. 2, when a man matching Emilliano’s description threw her to the ground and attempted to choke her near the intersection of Alicia Parkway and Via Lomas, according to the release. It said the victim managed to escape, running a quarter of a mile before finding help. She was later able to identify Emilliano as the suspect in Sunday’s attempted kidnapping after his arrest on Monday.
He was held at the Orange County Central Jail with bail set at $1,020,000, according to county inmate records. He was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday, Dec. 6.
Alejandro Franco, 25, of Inglewood was wounded about 11:50 p.m. on Nov. 23 in the 10900 block of Foster Road and died on Nov. 29 at a hospital, according to the coroner’s office and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Information was not released on a suspect or suspects.
Robert Pimentel was taken to a hospital from the 11000 block of Imperial Highway about 7 p.m. on Nov. 20, and he died about 5 p.m. on Nov. 29, according to the coroner’s office and the Sheriff’s Department. An autopsy was pending.
Information was not released on how Pimentel was injured.
Anyone with information on the cases was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500, or Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
Randall Wayne Allen, who was also placed on three years of formal probation, pleaded guilty to assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, resisting arrest and making criminal threats, all felonies, as well as a misdemeanor count of brandishing a weapon.
As part of the plea deal, felony counts of robbery, possession of flammable material, arson and resisting arrest were dismissed, according to court records.
Allen’s brush with the law started about 4:15 p.m. Jan. 19 when sheriff’s deputies responded to a report of a suspect with a weapon at a Walmart store in the unincorporated area of Foothill Ranch at 26502 Towne Centre Drive.
The man — later identified as Allen — was brandishing a “machete-like” knife and was also carrying an airsoft gun, said Senior Deputy District Attorney Paul Chrisopoulos.
There were multiple sightings of the suspect in various locations prior to his conflict with deputies in a Lake Forest neighborhood, where he was wounded by deputies at Kathy Avenue and Hoi Circle after entering a residence and assaulting a woman inside the home. He got into the home through an open garage door and hit the woman in the head with the handle of the low-powered air gun, Chrisopoulos said.
When deputies confronted him, he pointed the weapon at them, the prosecutor said. Allen, who had no prior criminal history, spent about a month in a hospital recovering from his wounds, the prosecutor said.
Allen was released after posting bail in March, so he has some more time to do in jail, Chrisopoulos said.
Al Iaquinta, left, deflects a punch from Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov during the fifth round of a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the fight. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov, right, punches Al Iaquinta during the fourth round of a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the fight. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov, above, wraps up Al Iaquinta during the fifth round of a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the fight. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov, right, kicks Al Iaquinta during the fourth round of a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the bout. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov, right, kicks Al Iaquinta during the fifth round of a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the bout. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov, left, and Al Iaquinta, front, react after a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the fight. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Al Iaquinta attempts to evade Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov during the first round of a lightweight title bout at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the fight. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Russia’s Khabib Nurmagomedov celebrates after a lightweight title bout against Al Iaquinta at UFC 223 early Sunday, April 8, 2018, in New York. Nurmagomedov won the fight. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
NEW YORK (AP) — Khabib Nurmagomedov wanted an unsanctioned brawl against Conor McGregor in a loading dock. He instead ended his long ride toward a UFC title with a championship belt to bring back to Russia.
Nurmagomedov capped one the rockiest weeks in UFC’s 25-year-history with a dominant outing over a bloodied Al Iaquinta to winn the 155-pound championship by unanimous decision in the main event of UFC 223 on Saturday night.
Move aside, McGregor. Nurmagomedov is primed for main events, not just sideshows with dollies and broken glass.
“Where’s Conor? You want to fight this bus?” Nurmagomedov said.
Nurmagomedov won a belt stripped from McGregor this week because the tempestuous Irishman — who ignited a melee when he threw a hand cart and guard railing at a bus full of UFC fighters — had not fought for UFC in 17 months.
He’s now the only fighter who can stake a claim to the lightweight title.
Nurmagomedov improved to 26-0 (10-0 in UFC) in a path to the lightweight championship much more laborious than his five rounds in the ring at Barclays Center. He won 50-43 on two scorecards and 50-44 on the third.
Nurmagomedov had four fights against interim champ Tony Ferguson fall through — the latest because of a freak knee injury that led to featherweight champ Max Holloway getting the call on six days’ notice to move up in weight. Holloway was ruled medically unfit to compete on Friday, which forced UFC to bump Iaquinta from an undercard bout against Paul Felder to a title fight.
Nurmagomedov was on the bus and said he had to be restrained by security to keep from fighting McGregor in the underbelly of the arena.
Nothing stopped him against Iaquinta.
The 29-year-old Nurmagomedov once wrestled a bear as a child and he had no trouble busting open a clearly overmatched Iaquinta. He used takedowns in the first, second and fifth rounds that led to repeated blows to the back of the head that cleared the way to his first UFC title.
“I want to say thank you to Iaquinta for stepping up and fighting. He is a real Brooklyn gangster,” Nurmagomedov said.
Nurmagomedov was the clear fan favorite — fans dotted the arena wearing papakhas, a hat that that looks like a powdered wig native to his homeland in Dagestan — and chanted “Khabib! Khabib! Khabib!”
Nurmagomedov lent his papakha to Joe Rogan and called out Georges St-Pierre for a fight later this year at Madison Square Garden.
But he was ready for a fight night doubleheader against anyone.
“Give me 30 minutes rest, little drink of water,” Nurmagomedov said. “Give me 30 minutes and I can fight with anybody. Tony, Conor it doesn’t matter.”
Rose Namajunas also was a passenger on the bus attacked by McGregor and was left so shaken she flirted with the idea of dropping out of her title fight.
She stuck with it — and kept her title.
Namajunas made it 2 for 2 against Joanna Jedrzejczyk and defended her 115-pound championship with a unanimous decision victory in the co-main event.
Namajunas (9-3) defeated Jedrzejczyk in the first round of their first match in November to win the strawweight championship. The 25-year-old Namajunas had to go the full 25 minutes to win 49-46 on all three scorecards.
“I just kept saying, ‘I’m the best,’” she said.
She wasn’t sure what to think when the dolly McGregor hurled at the bus just missed her window. McGregor faces felony charges that put his fight future in doubt.
UFC President Dana White said he had talked to McGregor about fighting in September but now everything is up in the air.
“I think there’s a mutual respect between us,” White said. “I had so many things thrown at me this week. To focus on the show was insane. We’ll get back and focus on Conor McGregor.”
McGregor’s agent, Audie Attar, wrote on Twitter that the former two-division champ “looks forward to getting back to fighting as soon as possible.”
Jedrzejczyk (14-2) and Namajunas appeared deadlocked through four rounds. Namajunas’ lead left leg absorbed so many punishing kicks it turned bright red, but she bloodied Jedrzejczyk with a series of stiff shots to the face. Jedrzejczyk’s right eye was about swollen shut in the fifth but she still landed some jabs that kept her hope alive of regaining her championship.
Namajunas took down Jedrzejczyk with 30 seconds left and the crowd roared in the waning moments of a sensational championship fight UFC needed following
Jedrzejczyk threw her arm around Namajunas for a hug at the end of the bout.
Nicknamed “Thug,” Namajunas was soundly booed as the challenger in the first fight at Madison Square Garden. But she left to cheers and a champion then and was clearly the people’s choice as she walked to the octagon five months later in Brooklyn. She shared a long embrace and a kiss with fiancee and training partner, Pat Barry.
UFC needed a fresh face in the women’s division with former champ and box office draw Ronda Rousey engaged in faux fighting in WWE. Rousey attended a WWE event Saturday night and was set to make pro wrestling debut in a bout Sunday at WrestleMania. She congratulated both Namajunas and Jedrzejczyk and said UFC was lucky to have them both.
White will be in New Orleans to root for Rousey at pro wrestling’s signature event.
Namajunas, who preaches the power of positivity over trash talking, proved her first win was no fluke.
“I’m just better, man,” she said.
UFC got the main events it needed after the entire card was thrown into disarray the past week.
After one of the UFC’s most chaotic weeks — with McGregor led from a police station in handcuffs to face several charges — the promotion got down Saturday night to what it does best: Put on a show.
Brooklyn was sold out with 17,026 fans at Barclays for a record gate of $3,007,108.12 for sporting events.
“Ridiculous considering the week we had,” White said.