Man gets two years in jail for breaking into Anaheim bank branch on a holiday afternoon

FULLERTON — A 29-year-old transient pleaded guilty Tuesday to breaking into a Bank of America branch in Anaheim last month and was immediately sentenced to two years in jail.


Luis Fernando Bautista was arrested by Anaheim Police on suspicion of breaking into and attempting to burglarize the Bank of America branch at 1818 S. Euclid St. on Monday, Jan. 21. He was spotted inside the bank, which was closed for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, by an employee who was monitoring a remote live feed of the business. (Photo courtesy of the Anaheim Police Department)

Luis Fernando Bautista pleaded guilty to one felony count each of second-degree burglary and vandalism, according to court records.

Bautista was arrested inside the bank at 1818 S. Euclid St. about 2 p.m. Jan. 21. The branch was closed that day in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Bautista was seen inside the branch on closed-circuit video that was being monitored by a bank employee, who alerted police, according to Anaheim police Sgt. Jeff Mundy.

When officers arrived, they found the bank’s front door had been forced open and saw Bautista rifling through drawers and attempting to enter the vault, Mundy said.

Before police arrived, several customers who apparently did not realize the bank was closed went inside because Bautista had left the front door open, the sergeant said.

Powered by WPeMatico

Irvine man charged in La Habra burglary, peeping incidents

FULLERTON — A 30-year-old Irvine man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to breaking into a home when a resident was home and peeping into three homes in La Habra.

Pedro Chaverria Garcia was charged Tuesday with a felony count of burglary and three misdemeanor counts of peeking into homes, according to court records. He is accused of peeking into homes in the 300 block of North Palm Street, 300 block of Wilson Street and the 400 block of Sonora Place on Sunday, according to court records.

A resident was in the home Garcia allegedly broke into, according to court records.

Garcia was being held on $50,000 bail.

Read more about Irvine man charged in La Habra burglary, peeping incidents This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Rialto man sent to prison for Irvine burglaries, robbery

SANTA ANA — A 19-year-old Rialto man pleaded guilty Monday to a string of burglaries in Irvine and was sentenced to four years in prison, according to court records.

Aspenn Jones pleaded guilty to five counts of first-degree burglary, one count of first-degree robbery, six counts of attempted burglary and car theft, all felonies.

Irvine police said Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017, that Aspenn G. Jones admitted to committing at least 10 recent residential burglaries. (Photo courtesy of Irvine Police Department)
Irvine police said Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017, that Aspenn G. Jones admitted to committing at least 10 recent residential burglaries. (Photo courtesy of Irvine Police Department)

Jones was arrested in September following a report of a break-in on Reggio Aisle, Irvine Police Department Public Information Officer Kim Mohr said.

As officers responded to the break-in, they saw three girls in possession of stolen property, Mohr said. As the officers questioned the suspects, Jones, “sweaty and out of breath,” showed up, Mohr said.

A resident who had chased Jones from his home on Santorini identified Jones as the culprit he was pursuing, Mohr said.

Jones broke into the home on Santorini, woke up a woman there and demanded her car keys, Mohr said. As the woman fetched the keys she alerted other family members of the break-in, and another resident chased Jones out, Mohr said.

Jones’ attorney, Ed Welbourn, said his client accepted a plea deal from Orange County Superior Court Judge Kazuharu Makino.

Sign up for our breaking news email newsletter: When major local news happens, you will be the first to know. Subscribe here.

Jones was eager to settle the case, his attorney said.

“He wanted to admit his guilt at an early stage of the proceedings,” Welbourn said. “He understands what he did was wrong and the gravity of it for the victims in the case.”

Read more about Rialto man sent to prison for Irvine burglaries, robbery This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man gets jail time for OC burglary spree targeting quarters in laundry machines

WESTMINSTER — A man pleaded guilty and was sentenced Tuesday to 270 days in jail for breaking into coin laundry machines in Cypress and Fullerton apartment buildings to steal quarters.

Jerry Scott Reed, 55, entered his plea to 18 counts of burglary and admitted sentencing enhancements for committing burglary while out on bail for earlier break-ins involving coin laundry machines.

Reed drilled into coin-operated laundry machines at the Sycamore Village apartments at 3301 Yorba Linda Blvd. in Fullerton to steal change on Nov. 15, Dec. 20, Dec. 26, Jan. 4, Jan. 7 and Jan. 9.

Last fall, Reed was charged with a dozen counts of burglary for breaking into coin laundry machines at the Casa Grande apartment complex in Cypress. Between April 16 and Sept. 25 of last year, he stole about $2,000 in quarters, Cypress police Sgt. Dean Pinvidic said.

Surveillance camera footage linked the defendant to a dozen crimes, but there were many more such burglaries in the laundry facilities, the sergeant said.

He said Reed went into laundry rooms in the early morning hours and use a power drill to gain access to the coin boxes.

Reed caused about $6,000 in damage to the washers and dryers. When police arrested him, he was carrying power tools and a sack full of about $160 in quarters, Pinvidic said.

Read more about Man gets jail time for OC burglary spree targeting quarters in laundry machines This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Serial burglars suspected of stealing $500,000 worth of cosmetics in California, Las Vegas are arrested

Two men suspected of stealing a half-million dollars worth of merchandise from retail cosmetic stores across Southern California and in Las Vegas were arrested Saturday, Jan. 27, in Riverside, according to a Riverside County Sheriff’s Department news release and jail records.

Niko Hayes, 28, left, and Burrell Doumont Roberts Jr., 27, were arrested Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, on suspicion of stealing $500,000 worth of merchandise from at least 20 retail cosmetic stores. (Photos courtesy of Riverside County Sheriff's Department)
Niko Hayes, 28, left, and Burrell Doumont Roberts Jr., 27, were arrested Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, on suspicion of stealing $500,000 worth of merchandise from at least 20 retail cosmetic stores. (Photos courtesy of Riverside County Sheriff’s Department)

Niko Hayes, 28, and Burrell Doumont Roberts Jr., 27, have been linked to at least 20 commercial burglaries, according to the release. The investigation is continuing and more may be discovered, officials said.

Investigators collected evidence pertaining to burglary locations in 19 cities across six counties in California and Nevada, including Moreno Valley in Riverside County, and undisclosed locations in Orange and Los Angeles counties.

They served several search warrants and recovered about $70,000 of stolen property.

Hayes and Roberts — whose cities of residence weren’t listed — were arrested without incident at 4 p.m. Saturday, according to the release and jail records.

Both were booked at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside on suspicion of 20 counts of second-degree burglary, 20 counts of felony vandalism, 20 counts of conspiracy to commit a felony and one count of committing multiple felonies that resulted in the victims’ loss of more than $100,000, according to jail records.

Roberts also was booked for a felony probation violation that made him ineligible for bail. Hayes’ bail was set at $300,000 and he remained in custody Monday.

A special enforcement team in Moreno Valley conducted the investigation with several other police agencies, sheriff’s officials said.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the robbery and burglary suppression team at the Moreno Valley station at 951-486-6700.

Powered by WPeMatico

$50K in purses and sunglasses taken from Mariah Carey’s home in latest celebrity burglary

LOS ANGELES >> Mariah Carey is the latest celebrity to have her Los Angeles home burglarized.

The celebrity news website TMZ.com reported that the singer’s Los Angeles mansion was hit up for $50,000 worth of purses and sunglasses — no jewelry.

The Los Angeles Police Department declined to confirm any burglary investigation involving Carey. TMZ quoted authorities as saying her home was burglarized around 3 a.m. Thursday while she was in New York City. No one else was in the home at the time, TMZ reported.

It appears the burglars got in through a window or door on an upper floor and a ladder was found in the backyard, according to TMZ.

The burglars tripped a silent alarm, TMZ reported, but the break-in was not discovered until about 6 or 7 a.m.

Powered by WPeMatico