1 person hurt, 1 suspect sought in shooting at Costa Mesa strip mall

Detectives sought one suspect in a shooting at a strip mall in Costa Mesa that sent one person to the hospital early Sunday, June 16.

Police were summoned to Vista Plaza, 811 W. 19th St., between 12:00 a.m. and 12:30 a.m., Costa Mesa Police Sgt. Chris Walk said. There, in a parking lot, officers found one person who had been shot. He was taken to a hospital, said Walk, who described the victim’s injuries as non-life-threatening.

No arrests had been made in the shooting as of Sunday evening, Walk said. Investigators believe one shooter was involved in the shooting, but a detailed description of that person or further information about what led up to it was not immediately released.

Read more about 1 person hurt, 1 suspect sought in shooting at Costa Mesa strip mall This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Defendant in 2017 Garden Grove stabbing pleads guilty to manslaughter

SANTA ANA — A 21-year-old man has pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the fatal stabbing of a transient in Garden Grove two years ago.

Daniel Robert Jones-Hoebel pleaded guilty on Friday to voluntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon, both felonies.

Jones-Hoebel killed 20-year-old Genaro Diaz on June 9, 2017, according to evidence presented in his preliminary hearing.

Police were called about 9:19 p.m. the night of the killing to 12862 Haster St., where Diaz had been stabbed to death.


Daniel Jones-Hoebel, 21, was arrested in 2017 by the Garden Grove Police Department as a suspect in the stabbing of 20-year-old Genaro Diaz. He pleaded guilty on Friday, June 7 to felony charges of voluntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon. (Courtesy of the Garden Grove Police Department)

Diaz had gotten into an argument with a former girlfriend, who was letting the transient sleep in her car, that escalated into Diaz punching the woman, who was the mother of their 3-year-old daughter, according to testimony in the preliminary hearing. Jones-Hoebel was dating the woman’s friend, who called him and another man to the scene, police testified.

Jones-Hoebel got into a fight with Diaz that led to the victim’s stabbing with a switchblade, police testified.

Jones-Hoebel had been charged with murder, but was allowed to plead to the lesser offense as part of a plea deal negotiated with prosecutors. The defendant was scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 9 in the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana.

He was the second of two men arrested on suspicion of Diaz’s killing. Garden Grove resident Antonio Esquivel was taken into custody as a suspect on the night of the stabbing, but court records show he was never prosecuted in connection to the incident. Police found and booked Jones-Hoebel five days later.

Register reporter Eric Licas contributed to this story.

Read more about Defendant in 2017 Garden Grove stabbing pleads guilty to manslaughter This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

3 hospitalized after collision involving a Placentia police vehicle

PLACENTIA — A police officer responding to a house fire call Sunday ended up in a collision with another vehicle at a Placentia intersection, a sergeant said.

It happened about 11:45 a.m. in the intersection of La Jolla Street and Melrose Avenue, Placentia police Sgt. Chris Anderson said.

The officer was heading east on La Jolla Street with lights and sirens on. He came to a stop before entering the intersection and when he went through it, the officer collided with a Nissan Frontier, Anderson said.

There were five people in the Nissan, all of whom suffered minor injuries, Anderson said. Three of them were hospitalized.

The officer was not hurt, Anderson said. Both the patrol car and the Nissan were damaged.

The California Highway Patrol was handling the investigation, Anderson said.

The initial report of a house fire turned out to be smoke from a backyard barbecue.

Anyone who witnessed the crash was asked to call Placentia police at 714-993-8153, Tipsters can also call Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.

Read more about 3 hospitalized after collision involving a Placentia police vehicle This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Suspects named in fatal prison stabbing of Riverside County murderer

A man who had been sentenced to 22 years behind bars for a 2013 attempted murder in Orange County is one of two suspects in the fatal stabbing of another prison inmate from Riverside County on Thursday, May 30, officials said Monday.

Corrections officers used pepper spray and a blast grenade to break up an altercation involving three men in an exercise yard at California Sate Prison – Sacramento in Folsom at about 2:16 p.m. Thursday, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officials said in a Monday statement. Charles Anthony Ross, 63, was stabbed with an inmate-made weapon, and was later pronounced dead at 2:34 p.m.

Officials identified Joshua Kerr, 35, and Nicholas Mangelli, 28, as suspects in the homicide. Both inmates were placed in the prison’s Administrative Segregation Unit.

Prosecutors charged Kerr in 2013 in Orange County on suspicion of attempted murder, with sentencing enhancements for street gang activity, court records show. He pleaded guilty in December 2015 to the allegations, as well as second-degree robbery, CDCR officials said.

Mangelli was sentenced in Sacramento County in March 2014 to life in prison without the possibility of parole for first degree murder, said the release. He pleaded guilty to stabbing a man he called his friend, an Iraq war veteran, about 35 times during a 2012 robbery, the Sacramento Bee reported.

CDCR officials did not immediately suggest what might have motivated the two men to allegedly attack Ross. His death was under investigation Monday.

He had been incarcerated since 1997 after he was convicted of first-degree murder and second-degree robbery in Riverside County, CDCR officials said. He was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Read more about Suspects named in fatal prison stabbing of Riverside County murderer This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Fire at Seal Beach apartment complex displaces 11 residents

SEAL BEACH — Firefighters knocked down a blaze inside an apartment building in Seal Beach on Sunday, May 26.

The two-alarm fire at a four-story apartment building in the 12400 block of Montecito Road was reported at 1:54 p.m., said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Cameron Rossman.

The OCFA and the Huntington Beach Fire Department dispatched a total of 44 firefighters to the scene, Rossman said.

The fire broke out in a unit on the fourth floor, Rossman continued. The bottom floor is a parking garage and residents live in units on the top three floors. The fire was contained to one unit. It was extinguished at about 2:20 p.m.

pic.twitter.com/C1Tx91chG5

— OCFA PIO (@OCFA_PIO) May 26, 2019

One unit was destroyed and four others sustained water and smoke damage. No injuries were reported, Rossman said.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to arrange temporary housing for nine adults and two children, Rossman said,

The cause of the blaze remained under investigation.

 

Read more about Fire at Seal Beach apartment complex displaces 11 residents This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man shot in unincorporated area near Anaheim

A man suffered a gunshot wound to the head Tuesday night in an unincorporated area of Orange County near Anaheim.

Deputies responded to the scene of the shooting on Augusta Drive, just west of Dale Street, about 9:35 p.m. and located the victim, according to Lt. F. Thompson of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

He was taken to a hospital, but information on his condition was not immediately available.

The shooter remained at large, and a detailed description of the suspect was not immediately available.

Read more about Man shot in unincorporated area near Anaheim This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man injured in apparent vehicle-to-vehicle shooting in Cypress

CYPRESS — A man was hospitalized with a wound he suffered Sunday when shots were fired from a vehicle into his vehicle, authorities said.

The shooting was reported at 8:43 p.m. in the 4400 block of Lincoln Avenue, Cypress police Sgt. C. Miller said.

Witnesses reported shots were fired between two vehicles, she said.

One man was taken to a hospital with a shooting wound not believed to be life-threatening, Miller said. No other injuries were reported in the car.

Miller said she could not confirm reports the shooting was the result of road rage

Read more about Man injured in apparent vehicle-to-vehicle shooting in Cypress This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Gov. Newsom denies parole for ex-Mexican Mafia hitman Rene ‘Boxer’ Enriquez

SACRAMENTO — For the fourth time since 2014, the California governor’s office has stepped in to prevent a former Mexican Mafia leader who has renounced his past from seeing the light of day.

In a three-page letter issued April 12, Gov. Gavin Newsom denied parole for Rene “Boxer” Enriquez, 56, overturning a decision by the state’s parole board in December. Enriquez has been granted parole four times since 2014, but each time the governor’s office has blocked his release.


Rene “Boxer” Enriquez, 56, was denied parole by the governor’s office forthe fourth time.

Newsom’s letter notes Enriquez’s cooperation with law enforcement and involvement in rehabilitation programs but says he still considers Enriquez “dangerous.”

“I encourage him to continue down this path of self-development and insight,” Newsom wrote. “However, given his current risk to public safety, I am not prepared to approve his release.”

The family of a woman Enriquez was convicted of killing had asked that he remain in prison and questioned the sincerity of his break from organized crime.

Enriquez’s next chance for freedom will be on June 2020, when he’s to go back before the parole board. At his December hearing, Enriquez told the board “I do not deserve parole” in light of the irrevocable harm he has caused, but also said he has changed his ways.

“I’ve committed crimes that people are still feeling today. I can never undo that, but I can vow to live my life in a correct manner,” Enriquez said. “I made a commitment to never violate another law, to never harm another soul. I understand the hesitancy. … I ask for your mercy.”

In recent years, Enriquez has said he and his siblings were molested as children, including by his older brother, and cited the anger from that as a reason for joining gangs as a child. He was  initiated into a neighborhood gang through a beating at the age of 12.

Enriquez, now considered an expert witness on gangs who has helped teach a class at UC Irvine via Skype, also said he had testified in a federal grand jury hearing for a racketeering case as recently as two weeks before the parole hearing but did not go into detail.

Enriquez, of Los Angeles, was an active gang member for nearly 30 years and joined the exclusive, infamous Mexican Mafia gang in the mid 1980s. In 2003, while serving time in Pelican Bay State Prison for two murders, Enriquez dropped out of the gang and shockingly agreed to testify in federal cases against other Mexican Mafia members.

He is now considered a target for assassination by the Mexican Mafia, a relatively small gang based in Los Angeles that is said to wield influence over tens of thousands of gang members across the country.

In 2015, then-Gov. Jerry Brown cited that as his reason for denying Enriquez parole, saying if he were released it would endanger his family and whatever community he ended up being placed in through a federal witness protection program.

Enriquez also gave detailed statements to federal and state authorities, describing the Mexican Mafia — also known as La Eme — as a sophisticated network of violent criminals who planned hits and laundered money in plain sight. In 2009, with Enriquez’s help and cooperation, Los Angeles-based reporter Chris Blatchford wrote a book called “The Black Hand,” which detailed Enriquez’s life and Mexican Mafia business.

Members of the parole board said his remorse was “sincere and genuine,” and read a list of numerous self-help programs Enriquez has undergone as reasons for granting him parole. His post-release plans were kept confidential.

Enriquez is serving a 20 years-to-life sentence for two murders, and has admitted to participating in a gang rape as a young adult and sexually assaulting a fellow inmate years later. He has also been involved in jail stabbings.

He became eligible for parole in 2004, but also got in trouble that year for a drug-related offense, his most recent rule violation. After several canceled hearings, he was denied parole in 2011, then granted it in 2014, 2016, 2017 and last December. In the past his bids for parole have been supported by some law enforcement officials in Orange County because of his work assisting in Mexican Mafia investigations; though other law enforcement officials in Southern California have opposed parole for him.

Enriquez was convicted of murdering Cynthia Gavaldon and David Gallegos in separate attacks; both allegedly were related to Mexican Mafia business. Enriquez says he ordered Galvadon’s death in 1989 because she was involved in drug sales but underselling them and pocketing the difference, which members of her family deny.

Enriquez said at his December parole hearing that Gallegos was a Mexican Mafia member who had fallen into disfavor with the gang for running from a gunfight. Enriquez and a fellow gang member lured Gallegos to a “drug house,” where they “incapacitated him” with an overdose of heroin and cocaine, then took him to a nearby alley and shot him multiple times. Enriquez said another Mexican Mafia member ordered the hit.

Family members of Gavaldon spoke in opposition to his release, her cousin calling Enriquez a “murder and rapist” with an “abundant, lustful appetite for Satan’s ways.” Her uncle said Gavaldon had been killed over $10 and that Enriquez was “lying” about her being involved in drugs.

“We think he speaks with a split tongue,” Gavaldon’s cousin told the parole board. “His genuineness of remorse and repentance is not there.”

Read more about Gov. Newsom denies parole for ex-Mexican Mafia hitman Rene ‘Boxer’ Enriquez This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

7 hurt in 3-vehicle crash on 5 Freeway in South Orange County

A three-vehicle crash on the Santa Ana (5) Freeway on Sunday evening in the Capistrano Beach area injured seven people, authorities said.

The crash happened about 8 p.m. on the northbound Santa Ana Freeway, just north of Camino De Estrella, the Orange County Fire Authority and California Highway Patrol said.

pic.twitter.com/i25XelPaCL

— OCFA PIO (@OCFA_PIO) April 22, 2019

Seven patients were taken to hospitals, including five trauma patients, the fire authority said.

No further details were immediately available.

Read more about 7 hurt in 3-vehicle crash on 5 Freeway in South Orange County This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

LAPD gang officer reported to be stable after undergoing surgery, he and a suspect were shot and injured in South L.A.

A Los Angeles police gang officer was wounded Saturday night in an officer-involved shooting in which a suspect also was wounded and another suspect was at large, authorities said.

#LAPD officer wounded in shooting in South LA underwent surgery at County USC Medical Center. Authorities say he’s in stable condition pic.twitter.com/llbKTkkO0z

— Amy Powell (@abc7amy) April 21, 2019

 

Officer shot has gone through surgery and is stable. @FOXLA @LAPDWestLA pic.twitter.com/6BSPUH3NeR

— Hailey Winslow (@HaileyBWinslow) April 21, 2019

The gang officer patrolling in South Los Angeles made a traffic stop just after 9 p.m. in the area of 52nd Street and Long Beach Avenue, pulling over a vehicle with two occupants, Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Mehgan Aguilar said.

A foot chase ensued that led to an officer-involved shooting in which one suspect and one officer were wounded, Aguilar said.

The officer was taken to a hospital where he underwent surgery, Aguilar said. He was described as stable after surgery.

There was no immediate word on the condition of the suspect.

In response, the LAPD issued a citywide tactical alert, keeping all officers on shift.

“You should expect to see a large police presence in the area of 52nd Street and Long Beach Avenue for several hours,” the LAPD tweeted.

The search was focused on a suspect believed to be armed, Aguilar said.

The search was in a large area bounded by Vernon and Slauson avenues and Compton Avenue and Alameda Street, she said.

Due to the ongoing incident, the LAPD has issued a citywide tactical alert. You should expect to see a large police presence in the area of 52nd Street and Long Beach Avenue for several hours.

— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) April 21, 2019

At approx 9:10pm Newton Area Gang Officers conducted a vehicle stop in the area of 51st & Long Beach. 2 occupants in the vehicle got out at which point there was foot pursuit. During the foot pursuit there was an Officer-Involved Shooting & 1 of the suspects was struck by gunfire

— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) April 21, 2019

Unfortunately, one of our officers was also struck by gunfire and has been transported to a local hospital. We will provide more details as they become available.

— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) April 21, 2019

 

 

Read more about LAPD gang officer reported to be stable after undergoing surgery, he and a suspect were shot and injured in South L.A. This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico