Allison Mack, an actress with OC ties, pleads guilty in scheme involving sex slaves for a cult-like group in New York

NEW YORK — TV actress Allison Mack pleaded guilty Monday to charges she was involved in a scheme to turn women into sex slaves for the spiritual leader of a cult-like upstate New York group, a development that came on the same day jury selection began for a federal trial in the case.


FILE – This June 26, 2012, file photo shows television actress Allison Mack at a party in Los Angeles. (Photo by Todd Williamson/Invision/AP, File)

Mack, 36, wept as she admitted her crimes and apologized to the women who prosecutors say were exploited by Keith Raniere and the purported self-help group called NXIVM.

“I believed Keith Raniere’s intentions were to help people, and I was wrong,” Mack told a Brooklyn judge.

Mack – best known for her role as a young Superman’s close friend on the series “Smallville” – said that after months of reflection since her arrest, “I know I can and will be a better person.”

The actress is to be sentenced Sept. 11 on two racketeering counts that each carry maximum terms of 20 years in prison. However, it’s likely she would face far less time under sentencing guidelines.

After her arrest last year, a federal judge agreed to release Mack on $5 million bond and place her under home detention.  She planned to live with her parents at their home in Los Alamitos as she awaited further legal proceedings, The Associated Press reported.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mack was born in Germany, where her father was an opera singer. The family later moved to Southern California and Mack graduated from the Orange County High School of the Arts in Santa Ana, now called the Orange County School of the Arts.

The Register contributed to this story.

Read more about Allison Mack, an actress with OC ties, pleads guilty in scheme involving sex slaves for a cult-like group in New York This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man charged with trying to sexually assault woman cleaning an office in Irvine

SANTA ANA — Criminal charges were filed Monday against a 21-year-old Santa Ana man accused of trying to sexually assault a woman cleaning an office in an Irvine commercial building.


Eduardo Godoy Gonzalez. (Photo courtesy Irvine Police Department)

Eduardo Godoy Gonzalez faces one count each of kidnapping to commit rape, assault with the intent to commit a sex offense, making criminal threats, second-degree burglary and false imprisonment, all felonies, as well as a misdemeanor count of brandishing a replica gun.

Gonzalez, who’s being held without bail, made his first court appearance in the jail courtroom in Santa Ana, but did not enter a plea. His arraignment was rescheduled to Feb. 22.

Police and prosecutors allege Gonzalez, carrying a skateboard with a fake Glock handgun in his sweatshirt pocket, approached the woman about 1:20 a.m. Wednesday at 17877 Von Karman Ave. The door to the office she was cleaning was unlocked, said Kim Mohr of the Irvine Police Department.

The suspect asked the victim in Spanish if she was working alone, and when she answered yes, he “made aggressive sexual comments to her” before demanding sex, Mohr said. When she refused, he pulled the replica gun out of his pocket and pointed it at her as he threatened to kill her, Mohr alleged.

The suspect pushed the victim into another room, where he tried to disrobe her, Mohr alleged. The victim pleaded for her life and fended off her attacker for about four minutes before she was managed to disarm him, then ran to a nearby office building for help, Mohr said.

Police found the fake gun at the crime scene. The victim, whose name was withheld, told detectives the suspect also had a knife, Mohr said.

She suffered bruises to her arms, hands and breasts, as well as scratches to her face, police said.

Police had released surveillance video of the incident. They said media coverage led to several tips that led investigators to Gonzalez.

Powered by WPeMatico

Highland man suspected in sexual assaults dating to 1995 is charged in Orange County

SANTA ANA – A 53-year-old garage door repairman was charged Monday, Jan. 14 with raping a 9-year-old girl and a woman jogger in south Orange County in the 1990s and molesting a 12-year-old girl between 2002 and 2003.

Kevin Konther, 53, of the San Bernardino County community of Highland, was arrested Thursday at his home after investigators linked him to the 1990s attacks through a genealogy website, Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said last week.

Konther is charged with two counts each of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation and aggravated sexual assault of a child, as well as one count each of forcible lewd acts on a child younger than 14 and lewd acts on a child younger than 14, all felonies. With sentencing enhancement allegations of kidnapping and sexual assault of multiple victims, he faces up to 140 years to life in prison if convicted.

Konther made his initial court appearance Monday, but his arraignment was rescheduled for Thursday in the Central Jail courtroom in Santa Ana.

He is accused of grabbing a 9-year-old girl who was walking home from a convenience store in Lake Forest at 6:40 p.m. on Oct. 21, 1995.

The girl’s attacker dragged her into a wooded area in Serrano Creek Park, where she was raped and then let go. She ran home, told her parents, and a search ensued that bore no results.

Konther is also accused of kidnapping and raping a 31-year-old woman who was attacked at 11:30 a.m. on June 2, 1998. She was jogging on a Mission Viejo trail near El Toro Road and Marguerite Parkway when she was dragged into some bushes and raped.

Investigators matched the DNA collected from the woman’s rape and linked it to the suspect in the 9-year-old girl’s attack, according to Barnes.

Over a 23-year period, investigators had checked the DNA against law enforcement databases with no luck. In August, using the same technique that led to the arrest of the alleged Golden State Killer, investigators submitted the DNA to an ancestry website and got a match to identical twins.

Konther’s brother was released from custody and investigators said they were confident they have arrested the correct suspect, Barnes said.

While investigating the attacks on the 9-year-old girl and the jogger, authorities also found evidence that Konther allegedly molested a 12-year-old girl three times between January 2002 and December 2003, Deputy District Attorney Michael Carroll said.

Powered by WPeMatico