Brea plastic surgeon charged with sexually assaulting 2 patients; attorney calls allegations false and outrageous

FULLERTON — A plastic surgeon with offices in Brea and Beverly Hills pleaded not guilty Tuesday to sexually assaulting two of his patients.

Frederic Corbin, 77, of Villa Park, pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in the North Justice Center in Fullerton to one felony count each of sexual battery involving an unconscious person and sexual exploitation by a physician, and two misdemeanor counts each of sexual battery and battery, according to court records.

Corbin’s attorney, Courtney Pilchman, issued a statement saying her client “vehemently and categorically denies these outrageous and false allegations.”

“He has practiced for over 50 years, without any complaint by a female patient regarding inappropriate behavior,” the defense attorney said. “There are thousands of patients, colleagues and friends who support Dr. Corbin and know these allegations are untrue. This case is about two disgruntled patients who made allegations that we will prove are false.”

Corbin is accused of molesting one of his patients while he prepared her for a surgical procedure on Sept. 17 of last year, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office. The doctor is accused of molesting another patient on May 14, during an examination when she came in to his Brea office for a post-surgery treatment.

“Patients entrust their very lives to the doctors who treat them,” said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer. “No one seeking medical treatment should have to worry about being sexually assaulted while under a doctor’s care. These women were in very vulnerable situations and their doctor capitalized on those vulnerabilities for his own sexual gratification.”

Corbin, who is free on $50,000 bail, was ordered to return to court Sept. 14 for a pretrial hearing.

Powered by WPeMatico

Man arrested, suspected of molesting 3 teens in after-school program in Anaheim

SANTA ANA — A 26-year-old man was behind bars Monday on charges of molesting three teenage boys in an afterschool program at a charter school in Anaheim.

Justin Dean Evans is charged with four counts of lewd acts on a minor younger than 14 and one count each of committing a forcible lewd act on a child and an attempted lewd act on a child younger than 14, all felonies.

Evans worked in an after-school program for Goals, a charter school in Anaheim, when he met the boys and allegedly sexually assaulted them in 2018 and 2019, when they were about 13 years old, according to Anaheim police Sgt. Shane Carringer.

Evans, who is being held on $1 million bail, is scheduled to be arraigned June 30 in the jail courtroom in Santa Ana.

Read more about Man arrested, suspected of molesting 3 teens in after-school program in Anaheim This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Reputed spiritual healer in Anaheim charged with raping 2 women

ANAHEIM — A 69-year-old self-proclaimed “spiritual healer” who does business in Anaheim was charged Wednesday with raping two women.

Leopoldo Garcia Garcia was charged with two counts of forcible rape, according to court records. One victim was allegedly raped Aug. 11 and the other on Oct. 1, 2018, according to the criminal complaint.

Garcia also faces a sentencing enhancement for multiple victims.

Garcia was in custody at the jail in Anaheim in lieu of $100,000 bail, but freed after posting bail, so the charges filed Wednesday include a warrant for his arrest with a $1 million bail requested.

One of the alleged victims, who is in her 40s, said she was sexually assaulted multiple times over the last several weeks when she came to Leopoldo Garcia for his services at his business Botanica El Padrino in the Anaheim Market Place at 1440 S. Anaheim Blvd., said Anaheim Police Department Sgt. Shane Carringer.

Garcia, also known as Leo or Curandero, bills himself as a spiritual healer who tells clients that he can help them remove a curse on them if they have sex with him, Carringer said.

Investigators are concerned there may be more alleged victims and asked for anyone with relevant information to call detectives at 714-765-1617.

Read more about Reputed spiritual healer in Anaheim charged with raping 2 women This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Drum school director accused of sexually assaulting teen in Orange County

SANTA ANA — Santa Ana police and prosecutors asked for the public’s help Wednesday tracking down potential victims of a registered sex offender charged with sexually assaulting a teenage boy.

Patrick Michael Costello of Orange, 56, founder and director of Synergy Drum Corps, is accused of offering a student, who was 14 or 15 years old, money in February to engage in sex, according to Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Costello was convicted in 2014 of sending “inappropriate text messages” to another teenage boy, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

Costello pleaded not guilty Friday to six counts of lewd acts on a child 14 or 15, three counts of annoying or molesting a child younger than 18 with a prior conviction for a sex crime, and a count of oral copulation of an underaged victim, according to prosecutors.

Costello could face up to nine years in prison if convicted of all charges, prosecutors said.

Since Costello met the victim when the boy was a student, investigators suspect there may be more victims, Bertagna said.

“According to Costello’s LinkedIn profile, he is the founder and director of Synergy Drum Corps, which is a private drum school with no affiliation to the Santa Ana Unified School District,” the Orange County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

Anyone with information was asked to contact Santa Ana Police Det. Gerry Corona at gcoronasanta-ana.org, or 714-245-8343. Orange County Crime Stoppers will accept anonymous tips at 855-TIP-OCCS.

Read more about Drum school director accused of sexually assaulting teen in Orange County This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man alleging molestation by a priest says Diocese of Orange officials tried to intimidate him

IRVINE — A man who has alleged in a lawsuit against the Diocese of Orange that he was molested by a Roman Catholic priest when he was 6 years old in 1994 said Monday that Diocese officials have attempted to “intimidate” him.

Last week, a judge cleared the way for the public identification of the priest, Father Edward Poettgen, who was most recently assigned to St. Boniface Catholic Church in Anaheim. The man suing him held a news conference Monday from the offices of his attorneys to say the Diocese has treated him “like an enemy of the church.”

The man, whose name was not released, said he reported the priest in January of 2019 so he could find some sort of healing.

“Instead of treating me with compassion Bishop (Kevin) Vann has treated me as an enemy of the church,” he said. “They served subpoenas on my mother, my girlfriend and my employers, hoping to intimidate me but I will not be intimidated. I find strength in knowing that my actions will protect other children.”

The man told reporters, “I’m not a scared little boy anymore.”

Poettgen has been placed on administrative leave, Diocese spokeswoman Tracey Kincaid said. She added the Diocese would not comment further on the pending litigation.

Attorney Vince Finaldi, who represents the plaintiff, said he deposed Poettgen last month, when the priest said he was still in active ministry at the church.

The plaintiff claims Poettgen molested him while he was enrolled as a student and in the parish of St. Polycarp Catholic Church in Stanton in 1994 and 1996.

“They’ve known about this for over a year and haven’t informed parishioners,” Finaldi said last week. “It’s crazy.”

Finaldi said Poettgen served on a board of consultants that decided to settle all its lawsuits in 2007 alleging clergy sex abuse.

“They say he doesn’t have any other allegations against him, but we’ve heard that before and proven it wrong,” Finaldi said. “We’ll have to see what the discovery turns up.”

A trial date has not yet been set.

Read more about Man alleging molestation by a priest says Diocese of Orange officials tried to intimidate him This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Line coach on San Juan Hills High School football team suspected of soliciting students for child pornography

Investigators believe an offensive line coach for a San Juan Capistrano high school football team propositioned multiple students to participate in child pornography, and sought the public’s help in identifying additional possible victims after he was arrested Wednesday, Oct. 30.

Cole Austin Cazel, 22, of San Juan Capistrano, was arrested at about 12:30 p.m. on suspicion of contacting minors for the purpose of soliciting child pornography, Orange County Sheriff’s Department officials said in a news release. He was held at the Orange County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Cazel had worked as an offensive line coach for the San Juan Hills High School football team and had regular contact with minors the past four years, the OCSD said.


Deputies arrested Cole Austin Cazel, 22, of San Juan Capistrano, Wednesday, Oct. 30, on suspicion of soliciting minors to take part in child pornography. He had worked as an offensive line coach for San Juan Hills High School, and has had regular contact with students for the past four years. (Photo courtesy of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department)

Deputies launched an investigation after receiving an anonymous tip suggesting he had victimized multiple students.

Authorities believe there may be other victims who have not yet been identified. Deputies asked anyone with information regarding their investigation to call 714-647-7419.

Anonymous tips can also be left with OC Crime Stoppers by dialing 855-847-6227 or visiting occrimestoppers.org.

Read more about Line coach on San Juan Hills High School football team suspected of soliciting students for child pornography This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

CHP officer on leave over claim he groped a Santa Ana woman

SANTA ANA — A Santa Ana woman claimed Wednesday she was groped by a California Highway Patrol officer who came to her apartment hours after a traffic stop involving her and her husband.

The woman, who spoke through an interpreter at a Los Angeles news conference with attorney Juan Dominguez, said she was going public with her claim to ensure no other women are victimized.

CHP officials said the unnamed officer has been placed on leave pending the completion of an internal investigation and a criminal investigation by the Santa Ana Police Department.

The woman claims she and her husband were pulled over by the officer around 5:30 p.m. April 6 on the southbound 5 Freeway near Red Hill Avenue. The officer cited her husband for being an unlicensed driver, and they were released, according to her attorney.

Sign up for our breaking news email newsletter: When major local news happens, you will be the first to know. Subscribe here.

About three hours later, the officer showed up at her apartment and asked to speak to her alone, Dominguez said.

“He positions his patrol car on the side of the parking lot and opens the two doors of his SUV patrol car and positions her between the two doors and … proceeds to grope her genitalia, breasts in a sexually inappropriate manner,” Dominguez said.

He said the officer stopped when a neighbor walked by, but the officer told the woman he would be back the following week.

“We hope and trust that they will do a thorough, transparent and speedy investigation,” Dominguez said.

Read more about CHP officer on leave over claim he groped a Santa Ana woman This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico