Girl, 17, fatally stabbed in Anaheim — suspect in custody

ANAHEIM — A 17-year-old girl in Anaheim was fatally stabbed Saturday night, and a suspect was in custody, authorities said.

At 8:30 p.m. police were called to the Leatrice Lane and Haster Street intersection where the incident occurred and found the victim clinging to life, according to Sgt. Shane Carringer with the Anaheim Police Department.

The teenager was sent to UC Irvine Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, he said.

A 23-year-old man from Anaheim was in police custody.

Investigators were looking into the relationship between the victim and the alleged assailant, as well as other possible suspects, Carringer said.

Powered by WPeMatico

Man pleads guilty to voluntary manslaughter in Garden Grove stabbing case dating to 1985

SANTA ANA — A 64-year-old man pleaded guilty Monday to voluntary manslaughter in a drug-related killing of a young man in the mid-1980s in Garden Grove.

Under the plea agreement, Jesus Menchaca is expected to be sentenced to 11 years in prison on Jan. 6, said Senior Deputy District Attorney Scott Simmons.

Eight witnesses have died over the years, making it more difficult to prosecute the case, Simmons said.

The 20-year-old victim, Scott Raymond Hall, was stabbed to death on Dec. 19, 1985, in the 12600 block of Sunswept Avenue during a drug deal gone bad, according to Garden Grove police.

Menchaca was initially charged with killing Hall in 1992, but the case was dropped for lack of evidence. The investigation was revived in 2015 and new technology helped prosecutors build a case that year based on DNA evidence.

Sentencing was put off until January so Hall’s family members can make victim impact statements.

Read more about Man pleads guilty to voluntary manslaughter in Garden Grove stabbing case dating to 1985 This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man suspected of slashing ex-girlfriend’s face in Santa Ana

SANTA ANA — Santa Ana police asked for the public’s help Wednesday, Sept. 4, in tracking down a man accused of slashing the face of his ex-girlfriend.

Alexander Chicas, 44, allegedly broke into the victim’s home at about 1:50 a.m. Monday, according to Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.


Police sought Alexander Chicas, 44, on suspicion of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s residence in Santa Ana and slashing her face with a knife on Monday, Sept. 2 (Photo courtesy of the Santa Ana Police Department)

The woman had her bedroom window open because of the heat, “so he ripped the screen off and forced his way in and told her he would kill her” before he slashed her face with a knife, Bertagna alleged.

The victim’s screams drew the attention of her teenage son, which prompted the intruder to flee, according to Bertagna.

The estranged couple had been together “for many years” and had recently broke up, he said.

“He had assaulted her previously so she dumped him,” Bertagna said.

Chicas is 5-foot-8 and 190 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. He was seen fleeing in a white 2015 Toyota Tacoma bearing license plate number 60192H1. He rents a room in the area of Bristol Street and McFadden Avenue, Bertagna said.


Police sought Alexander Chicas, 44, on suspicion of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s residence in Santa Ana and slashing her face with a knife on Monday, Sept. 2 He was last seen driving a white Toyota Tacoma bearing plate number 60192H1 (Photo courtesy of the Santa Ana Police Department).

Anyone who knows his whereabouts was asked to call detectives at 714-245-8660 or send an email to apartida@santa-ana.org.

Powered by WPeMatico

Son confesses to killing his mother in Garden Grove

The son of a 62-year-old woman found stabbed to death in Garden Grove on Tuesday admitted to killing her, and was arrested Thursday, Aug. 8, police said.

Jonathan Warner, 28, of Garden Grove, had been named as a person of interest in the presumed homicide of his mother, Vivian Wolff, Garden Grove Police said in a statement. A resident spotted him near the intersection of 9th and College Streets and notified officers, who responded at about 1:45 p.m.

  • A 62-year-old woman was found stabbed to death in Garden Grove Tuesday night, Aug. 6. Police remained at the scene Wednesday morning as they sought details in the case. (Photo by Alma Fausto/Orange County Register/SCNG)

  • Jonathan Warner, 28, the son of Vivian Wolff, 62, a woman found stabbed to death in Garden Grove Tuesday, Aug. 6, was arrested Thursday, Aug. 8, after allegedly assaulting and fleeing from officers. He later confessed to the crime, police said. (Photo courtesy of the Garden Grove Police Department)

  • Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
of

Expand

When police made contact with Warner, he allegedly assaulted an officer and fled on foot, according to the statement. He was arrested after a brief pursuit, and transported to the Garden Grove Police Department, where he was interviewed by detectives, police said. The person-of-interest became a suspect after he confessed to killing his mother, and was taken to the Orange County Jail.

Warner had been sharing a rented room with Wolff in a condominium on the 14000 block of Flower Street. It’s where the victim was found dead by friends who had grown concerned after not seeing her for a while, Garden Grove Police Lt. Carl Whitney said.

Read more about Son confesses to killing his mother in Garden Grove This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Defendant in 2017 Garden Grove stabbing pleads guilty to manslaughter

SANTA ANA — A 21-year-old man has pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the fatal stabbing of a transient in Garden Grove two years ago.

Daniel Robert Jones-Hoebel pleaded guilty on Friday to voluntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon, both felonies.

Jones-Hoebel killed 20-year-old Genaro Diaz on June 9, 2017, according to evidence presented in his preliminary hearing.

Police were called about 9:19 p.m. the night of the killing to 12862 Haster St., where Diaz had been stabbed to death.


Daniel Jones-Hoebel, 21, was arrested in 2017 by the Garden Grove Police Department as a suspect in the stabbing of 20-year-old Genaro Diaz. He pleaded guilty on Friday, June 7 to felony charges of voluntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon. (Courtesy of the Garden Grove Police Department)

Diaz had gotten into an argument with a former girlfriend, who was letting the transient sleep in her car, that escalated into Diaz punching the woman, who was the mother of their 3-year-old daughter, according to testimony in the preliminary hearing. Jones-Hoebel was dating the woman’s friend, who called him and another man to the scene, police testified.

Jones-Hoebel got into a fight with Diaz that led to the victim’s stabbing with a switchblade, police testified.

Jones-Hoebel had been charged with murder, but was allowed to plead to the lesser offense as part of a plea deal negotiated with prosecutors. The defendant was scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 9 in the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana.

He was the second of two men arrested on suspicion of Diaz’s killing. Garden Grove resident Antonio Esquivel was taken into custody as a suspect on the night of the stabbing, but court records show he was never prosecuted in connection to the incident. Police found and booked Jones-Hoebel five days later.

Register reporter Eric Licas contributed to this story.

Read more about Defendant in 2017 Garden Grove stabbing pleads guilty to manslaughter This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Suspects named in fatal prison stabbing of Riverside County murderer

A man who had been sentenced to 22 years behind bars for a 2013 attempted murder in Orange County is one of two suspects in the fatal stabbing of another prison inmate from Riverside County on Thursday, May 30, officials said Monday.

Corrections officers used pepper spray and a blast grenade to break up an altercation involving three men in an exercise yard at California Sate Prison – Sacramento in Folsom at about 2:16 p.m. Thursday, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officials said in a Monday statement. Charles Anthony Ross, 63, was stabbed with an inmate-made weapon, and was later pronounced dead at 2:34 p.m.

Officials identified Joshua Kerr, 35, and Nicholas Mangelli, 28, as suspects in the homicide. Both inmates were placed in the prison’s Administrative Segregation Unit.

Prosecutors charged Kerr in 2013 in Orange County on suspicion of attempted murder, with sentencing enhancements for street gang activity, court records show. He pleaded guilty in December 2015 to the allegations, as well as second-degree robbery, CDCR officials said.

Mangelli was sentenced in Sacramento County in March 2014 to life in prison without the possibility of parole for first degree murder, said the release. He pleaded guilty to stabbing a man he called his friend, an Iraq war veteran, about 35 times during a 2012 robbery, the Sacramento Bee reported.

CDCR officials did not immediately suggest what might have motivated the two men to allegedly attack Ross. His death was under investigation Monday.

He had been incarcerated since 1997 after he was convicted of first-degree murder and second-degree robbery in Riverside County, CDCR officials said. He was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Read more about Suspects named in fatal prison stabbing of Riverside County murderer This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

UC Irvine student stabbed, university police seek attacker

A female student was stabbed near UC Irvine student housing and university police were trying to identify and find the suspect Sunday night, broadcast reports said.

KTLA reported it happened just before 10 p.m. and the victim had been walking her dog when she was attacked. An unidentified attacker was involved, UCI spokesman Tom Vasich said.

Information on the condition of the victim, who was taken to a hospital, was not immediately available.

Officials say a female UC Irvine student was stabbed around 10pm this evening in the area of Camino Del Sol. Transported in unknown condition. Police are searching for the suspect described as a male with a large build. Students urged to secure in place @CBSLA @KCBSKCALDesk pic.twitter.com/9gn1lPwmIh

— Chris Ercoli (@CErcoliCBS2KCAL) March 11, 2019

UCI Public Safety tweeted about the incident at 10:20 p.m., advising the suspect had a large build and people on campus should “secure in place.”

The situation was declared clear at 11:32 p.m., though the suspect was outstanding.

zotALERT: Situation all clear. Resume normal activity. Susp still outstanding. Suspect desc: Male large build. Call 911 if you see anything

— UCI Public Safety (@UCIrvinePD) March 11, 2019

zotALERT: UCIPD has checked campus thoroughly and have no reason to believe suspect is in the area.

— UCI Public Safety (@UCIrvinePD) March 11, 2019

Read more about UC Irvine student stabbed, university police seek attacker This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man stabbed in Old Towne Orange; treated for life-threatening injuries

A man sustained life-threatening injuries, but was expected to recover, after he was stabbed near Plaza Square Park in the Old Towne area of Orange on Monday, Dec. 17.

Dispatchers received a 911 call at 8:36 p.m. reporting an unspecified incident near the intersection of West Chapman Avenue and Glassell Street, according to Orange Police Lt. Fred Lopez. He said responding officers found a 27-year-old man bleeding in the street. The victim was transported to a nearby hospital.

East Chapman will be closed from Glassell to Orange for approx 2 hours for an assault investigation. Avoid the area. pic.twitter.com/9YGXlukMkV

— Orange Police Department (@CityOfOrangePD) December 18, 2018

Medical staff determined that the man had suffered life-threatening stab wounds to his chest, but the victim was expected to survive his injuries, according to Lopez. He said it was unclear what was used to stab the man, and officers had not recovered a weapon from the scene as of 11 p.m. Monday.

 

Authorities did not immediately suggest a motive for the attack, release a description of a potential suspect, or identify the victim. The incident did not appear to be related to any other crime happening at the time, according to Lopez.

Read more about Man stabbed in Old Towne Orange; treated for life-threatening injuries This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed. Santa Ana Shredding Service

Powered by WPeMatico

Officials ID two slain in Norwalk incidents

NORWALK — Authorities Monday identified a man who was fatally stabbed in Norwalk.

Alejandro Franco, 25, of Inglewood was wounded about 11:50 p.m. on Nov. 23 in the 10900 block of Foster Road and died on Nov. 29 at a hospital, according to the coroner’s office and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Information was not released on a suspect or suspects.

Authorities separately identified a 70-year-old man who died at a hospital nine days after he suffered “blunt force trauma” in Norwalk.

Robert Pimentel was taken to a hospital from the 11000 block of Imperial Highway about 7 p.m. on Nov. 20, and he died about 5 p.m. on Nov. 29, according to the coroner’s office and the Sheriff’s Department. An autopsy was pending.

Information was not released on how Pimentel was injured.

Anyone with information on the cases was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500, or Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.

Powered by WPeMatico

One man shot to death, another stabbed with critical injuries in Santa Ana

SANTA ANA — A man was shot to death and another was stabbed and in critical condition in a Santa Ana attack on Monday, authorities said.

The shooting was reported at 10:18 p.m. Monday at Pomona and Sycamore streets, Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna said.

Officers found a man with gunshot wounds to his upper torso, Bertagna said. He was taken to a trauma center, where he died.

Officers then found a man stabbed in the upper torso and “other extremities” at Main Street and Warner Avenue, near the first crime scene, Bertagna said. He was taken to a trauma center, where he was in critical condition.

It was believed the second victim fled the original crime scene, he said. No suspect information was available.

Investigators were trying to determine if the crime was gang-related.

Read more about One man shot to death, another stabbed with critical injuries in Santa Ana This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed. Santa Ana Shredding Service

Powered by WPeMatico