Man charged with killing protected mountain lion P-38, which roamed mountains northwest of LA

VENTURA — A Simi Valley man was charged with shooting and killing a protected mountain lion that roamed the mountains northwest of Los Angeles and was wearing a GPS tracking collar.

Alfredo Gonzalez, 60, was charged with two misdemeanors for allegedly shooting the male cougar, known as P-38, and vandalizing its collar, the Ventura County district attorney’s office announced Tuesday.

It is illegal to shoot a mountain lion without a state permit.

Prosecutors believe that Gonzalez shot the animal in the head in Simi Valley, possibly on July 2, when National Park Service researchers received a “mortality signal” from the collar, the agency said.

Prosecutors have not released a possible motive for the shooting.

P-38 was born in 2012 and was known to roam the Santa Susana Mountains. He was believed to have fathered four litters of cubs.

The mountain lion was part of a population that park service biologists have been studying for more than a decade.

If convicted, Gonzalez could be sentenced to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. He also might have to pay $2,300 in restitution for vandalizing the collar, the district attorney’s office said.

It was not immediately clear whether Gonzalez had an attorney.

Read more about Man charged with killing protected mountain lion P-38, which roamed mountains northwest of LA This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Man suspected of slashing ex-girlfriend’s face in Santa Ana

SANTA ANA — Santa Ana police asked for the public’s help Wednesday, Sept. 4, in tracking down a man accused of slashing the face of his ex-girlfriend.

Alexander Chicas, 44, allegedly broke into the victim’s home at about 1:50 a.m. Monday, according to Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.


Police sought Alexander Chicas, 44, on suspicion of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s residence in Santa Ana and slashing her face with a knife on Monday, Sept. 2 (Photo courtesy of the Santa Ana Police Department)

The woman had her bedroom window open because of the heat, “so he ripped the screen off and forced his way in and told her he would kill her” before he slashed her face with a knife, Bertagna alleged.

The victim’s screams drew the attention of her teenage son, which prompted the intruder to flee, according to Bertagna.

The estranged couple had been together “for many years” and had recently broke up, he said.

“He had assaulted her previously so she dumped him,” Bertagna said.

Chicas is 5-foot-8 and 190 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. He was seen fleeing in a white 2015 Toyota Tacoma bearing license plate number 60192H1. He rents a room in the area of Bristol Street and McFadden Avenue, Bertagna said.


Police sought Alexander Chicas, 44, on suspicion of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s residence in Santa Ana and slashing her face with a knife on Monday, Sept. 2 He was last seen driving a white Toyota Tacoma bearing plate number 60192H1 (Photo courtesy of the Santa Ana Police Department).

Anyone who knows his whereabouts was asked to call detectives at 714-245-8660 or send an email to apartida@santa-ana.org.

Powered by WPeMatico

Two 18-year-olds charged with pimping underage girl in Santa Ana and Pomona

SANTA ANA — A pair of 18-year-olds are facing charges of pimping a teenage girl in Santa Ana and Pomona, a police spokesman said Wednesday.

Carlos Guadalupe Garcia and Leilani Celeste Parker were arrested Friday for allegedly pimping the 15-year-old victim, said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Charges were filed Tuesday against Garcia and Parker, who pleaded not guilty and were ordered to return to court in the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana on Sept. 5.

Both are charged with human trafficking of an underage victim, pimping for a prostitute younger than 16, and pandering with a minor younger than 16, all felonies. Garcia is additionally charged with pimping and pandering of another victim, who is an adult woman, according to court records.

Police working an operation in Santa Ana saw Parker and the teen in a high-prostitution area of the city, where she was allegedly training the girl to be a sex worker, according to Bertagna.

Read more about Two 18-year-olds charged with pimping underage girl in Santa Ana and Pomona This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Woman charged with attempted murder, is suspected of trying to push high school cross-country runner off a bridge in OC

SANTA ANA — Authorities say a 23-year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder for allegedly trying to push a high school cross-country runner off a bridge in Southern California.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department said the boy’s Capistrano Valley High School teammates were able to fight off the woman after she assaulted two of them Aug. 23 in Ladera Ranch.


Stephanie Redondo, 23, a transient, was arrested by Orange County Sheriff’s Department deputies after she allegedly tried to push a teenage boy off a bridge in Ladera Ranch. (Courtesy of Orange County Sheriff’s Department)

Officials said that during the assault the suspect grabbed one of the boys and attempted to throw him over the railing onto a roadway below.

Prosecutors said Tuesday that Stephanie Redondo also faces battery and assault charges. Authorities described her as a transient. It wasn’t known if she has an attorney.

Nobody was seriously hurt in the incident.

Read more about Woman charged with attempted murder, is suspected of trying to push high school cross-country runner off a bridge in OC This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Woman killed in alleged Long Beach DUI crash identified as a Cypress resident

LONG BEACH – The coroner’s office released the name of a young woman on Wednesday, Aug. 21, after she was killed Sunday in a two-vehicle crash in Long Beach while riding with an allegedly impaired driver, who was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and vehicular manslaughter.

Marilyn Araiza, 21, of Cypress, died at a hospital a short time after the pre-dawn crash.

She was a passenger in a 1999 Lincoln Town Car driven by Osvaldo Ramirez-Vazquez, who was allegedly speeding eastbound on Pacific Coast Highway when he lost control of the vehicle approaching Grand Avenue around 2:40 a.m. The Lincoln rotated to the left and broadsided the passenger door of a 2014 Cadillac XTS, police said.

  • Investigators suspect DUI in a collision that left one woman dead in Long Beach early Sunday, Aug. 18. (Photo by Chris Villanueva, Contributing Photographer)

  • Investigators suspect DUI in a collision that left one woman dead in Long Beach early Sunday, Aug. 18. (Photo by Chris Villanueva, Contributing Photographer)

  • Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
of

Expand

Araiza was trapped inside the Lincoln and was extricated from the wreckage by firefighters. They also had to free the driver of the Cadillac from his vehicle, police said. A 49-year-old Garden Grove resident was taken to an area hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Ramirez-Vazquez escaped the crash with minor injuries, police said.

“Based on both driver’s and witness statements … Ramirez-Vazquez was operating a motor vehicle at a high rate of speed, while under the influence of alcohol, when he lost control striking the Cadillac that was driving in the opposite direction,” according to a Long Beach police statement.

Ramirez-Vazquez, 21, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to a single count of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, along with an allegation of causing great bodily injury or death. He is due back in court next week.

Long Beach police asked anyone who witnessed the crash to call them at 562-570-5520.

Read more about Woman killed in alleged Long Beach DUI crash identified as a Cypress resident This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Son confesses to killing his mother in Garden Grove

The son of a 62-year-old woman found stabbed to death in Garden Grove on Tuesday admitted to killing her, and was arrested Thursday, Aug. 8, police said.

Jonathan Warner, 28, of Garden Grove, had been named as a person of interest in the presumed homicide of his mother, Vivian Wolff, Garden Grove Police said in a statement. A resident spotted him near the intersection of 9th and College Streets and notified officers, who responded at about 1:45 p.m.

  • A 62-year-old woman was found stabbed to death in Garden Grove Tuesday night, Aug. 6. Police remained at the scene Wednesday morning as they sought details in the case. (Photo by Alma Fausto/Orange County Register/SCNG)

  • Jonathan Warner, 28, the son of Vivian Wolff, 62, a woman found stabbed to death in Garden Grove Tuesday, Aug. 6, was arrested Thursday, Aug. 8, after allegedly assaulting and fleeing from officers. He later confessed to the crime, police said. (Photo courtesy of the Garden Grove Police Department)

  • Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
of

Expand

When police made contact with Warner, he allegedly assaulted an officer and fled on foot, according to the statement. He was arrested after a brief pursuit, and transported to the Garden Grove Police Department, where he was interviewed by detectives, police said. The person-of-interest became a suspect after he confessed to killing his mother, and was taken to the Orange County Jail.

Warner had been sharing a rented room with Wolff in a condominium on the 14000 block of Flower Street. It’s where the victim was found dead by friends who had grown concerned after not seeing her for a while, Garden Grove Police Lt. Carl Whitney said.

Read more about Son confesses to killing his mother in Garden Grove This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

Zipping to work will get easier for this reader … eventually

Q. I commute from my house in Rancho Cucamonga to my office in Garden Grove. To get into the 91 Express Lanes from the 15 Freeway, I have to take the 15 south past the 91, exit the freeway and get back on going north before entering the westbound 91 Express Lanes. Or go east on the 91 before exiting and flipping around. Going home is also very inconvenient. Are there any plans for a direct connector for the 91 Express Lanes and the 15 Freeway above the 91?

– Andy Tran, Rancho Cucamonga

A. Whew!

Visualizing those maneuvers makes Honk’s head hurt.

Yes, help is on the way, although a solution won’t arrive real soon.

“There is a project to build a direct connector as he describes,” said John Standiford, deputy executive director with the Riverside County Transportation Commission.

But first the 15 Express Lanes are to be built. Construction is underway on that 15-mile tollway along the 15 Freeway and is to be completed in about a year. Two years later, a connector ramp will link the siblings, the 15 Express Lanes and the 91 Express Lanes.

You should be able to zip to work then, Andy.

If you want to save some coins, you will be able to just take the segment of the 15 Express Lanes near that connector ramp so you can make smooth transitions, and use the regular 15 Freeway the rest of the way; the 15 Express Lanes will have multiple places to enter and exit.

Q. I believe the state just recently passed, and Gov. Gavin Newsom signed, a bill that waives the $5 fee to get “VETERAN” on your California driver license or your Department of Motor Vehicles-issued ID card.

– C. Wellington, Fullerton

A. Honk thanks you, sir or madam.

C. was referring to a recent dandy column, when Honk explained how veterans of the U.S. armed forces can get that distinction put on their driver license or ID – a move that can, at times, get the bearer a discount at a store or a restaurant.

For most vets, like Honk had mentioned, it costs $5 on top of any other fee, such as that for a new or replaced license or ID.

Honk didn’t know about the waiver until C. told him. He then slipped on a pair of gumshoes and went out to look into the matter.

Indeed, as of July 1, veterans who are homeless or have a low income do not need to pay that five bucks. In fact, C., the new law was authored by Sharon Quirk-Silva, an assemblywoman from your hometown.

Five bucks isn’t a big break, of course, but it does show our appreciation for those who served.

To ask Honk questions, reach him at honk@ocregister.com. He only answers those that are published. To see Honk online: ocregister.com/tag/honk.

Read more about Zipping to work will get easier for this reader … eventually This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

2 hospitalized, 2 in custody after fight at OC Fair

COSTA MESA — Two victims suffered cuts to their arms in an altercation Wednesday night at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa and two men were taken into custody.

pic.twitter.com/gyJg7iPEXY

— ocfair (@ocfair) August 1, 2019

 

Orange County sheriff’s deputies responded to a fight in the main mall area of the fair about 9:40 p.m. and located the two victims, according to fair spokeswoman Terry Moore.

The victims were taken to a hospital in unknown condition, Moore said.

Two men were taken into custody by deputies around 11 p.m., NBC4 reported.

No weapons were recovered, Moore said.

The Sheriff’s Department investigated the incident.

Powered by WPeMatico

Vehicle hits construction equipment in Anaheim; worker knocked into 15-foot-deep hole and is rescued

ANAHEIM — A construction worker was rescued from a 15-foot-deep hole he was knocked into when a vehicle crashed into construction equipment in Anaheim, authorities said.

The crash occurred at the intersection of Ball Road and State College Boulevard about 10:30 p.m. Monday when the vehicle hit the equipment, including a backhoe, sending the worker into the hole, according to Sgt. Lou Correa of the Anaheim Police Department.

Anaheim Domino Type Accident sends pedestrian into 15 foot hole! Car crashes into construction equipment at the intersection of Ball rd & State College then equipment pushed a worker into the open hole at the site He was reduced taken to hospital. @KCBSKCALDesk pic.twitter.com/tjoA27MVti

— stu mundel (@Stu_Mundel) July 30, 2019

The victim was rescued by Anaheim Fire & Rescue crews and taken to a hospital, where he was reported responsive and not seriously hurt, Correa said.

The driver was detained and the cause of the crash was under investigation, Correa said.

CBS2 reported the driver attempted to leave the scene, but was quickly taken into custody.

Read more about Vehicle hits construction equipment in Anaheim; worker knocked into 15-foot-deep hole and is rescued This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico

2 killed when cars collide on Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach

Two people were killed Monday night when a pair of cars collided in Huntington Beach.

The crash occurred in the 18000 block of Beach Boulevard at about 9:25 p.m., said Huntington Beach Fire Battalion Chief Marty Ortiz. He said two compact cars were involved.

Details were scarce immediately following the collision. Ortiz did not have information on how it happened, but said two people were dead at the scene. He said three other people were transported to hospitals.

Huntington Beach Police Sgt. Jason Melschau said the two who died were adults. The three other people were expected to recover, he said.

The crash happened near Taylor Drive, according to video shot at the scene. Beach Boulevard was closed in the area of the crash from Talbert Avenue south to Main Street for an indefinite time.

This is a developing story. More will be added when details become available.

Read more about 2 killed when cars collide on Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach This post was shared via Orange County Register’s RSS Feed

Powered by WPeMatico